Saturday, April 17, 2010

Books of the Week – Bunny Theme


 
Early on this week I realized we were reading an unusually large number of books containing rabbits… I’m not sure how this happened, except it started with Peter Rabbit a little before Easter and then the books just… multiplied.  Not altogether unlike rabbits themselves do. Thank goodness these are only books, not real rabbits. ;) 
So, we ran with the theme, and did some fun bunny activities and crafts that I’ll be sharing in an upcoming Preschool Corner post.
However, for now, I want to share an amazing find that we came across at our library:image The Golden Sleepy Book, by Margaret Wise Brown, illustrated by Garth Williams.  Now, I know that’s a bear on the front, and I’m not sure why since the two main stories in it are about bunnies; but this is the best bedtime book ever.  EVER.  It has poetry and songs and two adorable stories…
The first one is titled, “The Whispering Rabbit”.   It’s full of yawning, so your little one (and you too most likely) will definitely be ready to go to bed.  This sweet little rabbit (the pictures are by Garth Williams and are sweet and colorful and fun to look at) is yawning so much he accidentally swallows a bumblebee who goes to sleep in his throat.  He can only whisper as he tries to make just the right sound to wake up the bumblebee.  It’s such a nice story to read slowly and whisper the whispering parts. :) 
The second story is titled, “The Dreaming Bunny”.  This story also has great pictures, but a couple of the pages are quite long on text and short on pictures, so a smaller child may have a hard time staying interested.  However, it’s a great story about a little rabbit that appears to be lazy, but really just wants to enjoy himself and dream his dreams, make up his little songs, and relax.  As it turns out his slower pace of life allows him to see things that the other bunnies are too busy to see.  He ends up saving all the bunnies and is a hero who is content to just go back to his dreaming.

We also read The Bunnies are Not in Their Beds, by Marasabino Russo.  image We’ve read this book before and I’ve enjoyed reading it again, although I do worry that it might give M a few ideas I don’t want him to have!  These naughty little bunnies keep getting out of their beds and getting into mischief.  Mama and Daddy keep going upstairs to send them back to bed, getting a bit more stern each time.  But these bunnies aren’t so easily stopped. :)  This is a super-cute and funny book!
To hear about more kids’ books, check out Mouse Grows, Mouse Learns!
Have a beautiful day! :)

5 comments:

  1. The Golden Sleepy Book sounds wonderful! I've added it to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it's the "best bedtime book ever", we're certainly going to have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great week of books! I sometimes wonder when I read certain books if I am just enabling my son to try something mischievous

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for joining this week! The Sleepy Book sounds wonderful, and I was amused to browse through your widget and see so many bunny books. I am really trying not to give Anna any "naughty" ideas, especially around all-important bedtime. She gets enough of her own already :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reminds me of bedtime at our house.....
    I've read the "Whispering Rabbit" not as part of that book but on its own, and it is super cute.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment; I love reading them! If you ask a question and don't receive a personal reply, check back here for the answer. Often I reply via comment to something that might be of interest to others.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...