Thursday, October 29, 2009

Craft Time – Pumpkin Mosaic and a Sensory Lesson

M loved the way this project was set up:pumpkin mosaic (1)
“What do you have there for me, Mama?”  (Being called “Mama” is rare these days, which I can’t dwell on because it makes me oh so sad.)
He loved the idea too:  Put glue all over the pumpkin then put the little squares on it like a collage.  We’ve done mosaics before, but not in a while.  With this one we talked about how the foam pieces were squishy, the felt pieces were soft, and the paper pieces were smooth.  There were also light and dark orange foam pieces, so we talked a little about that distinction.
pumpkin mosaic (2)
What he really loved, though, was the glue.  Pools and pools of glue.  He used up the last 1/3 of the bottle.  I tried, really hard, to hold my tongue, but after the 5th glue pool for one tiny orange square, I took the glue away.  I helped him spread out the copious amounts of glue already on the pumpkin with a sponge brush so he could put on more squares. 
He put on maybe 3 more.  Then he was done.  His attitude was, the glue is gone, this isn’t worth doing.  What is it with glue and this kid?!?
We did this Monday.  The glue was finally dry on Wednesday.  Finished artwork:pumpkin mosaic
I ran across something similar that he made last year around Halloween:2008 halloween
I guess my brain is rotating ideas without me knowing it. :)
Have a beautiful day! :)

5 comments:

  1. LOL my son is glue crazy, too! I can't wait to try this pumpkin with James - thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This turned out great! I like all of the concepts that you talked about while making it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute craft - I was just thinking yesterday about a collage with different materials. While I am a thinker, you are clearly a doer. It's too funny about M's glue obsession. Anna doesn't mind glue, but she actually takes pride in squeezing tiny portions of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the pumpkin came out cute.. perfect activity for the month of october

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the use of different textures in this craft. You were able to discuss so many concepts and your little one just thought he was having fun with glue!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment; I love reading them! If you ask a question and don't receive a personal reply, check back here for the answer. Often I reply via comment to something that might be of interest to others.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...