Saturday, October 31, 2009

Books of the Week – Oct. 31, 2009

books of the week button
One of our very favorite books is Caps for Sale by Esphyr Slobodkina.image We found it at the library this week and have been reading it every day. We’ve had it before too – and we normally keep re-checking it out for as long as we can. I know, we should really buy it. It is “A tale of a peddler, some monkeys, and their monkey business”, as it says right on the front of the book. This is truly a classic and I think there are so many creative things we could do with this book. If you haven’t read it or shared it with your child, I highly recommend that you do!
We also checked out this fun little book:imageThe Cow That Went OINK by Bernard Most. This was a recommendation from Mouse Grows, Mouse Learns, and M loves it. He laughed out loud several times – big belly laughs – the first time we read it, and that definitely means it’s a keeper. This is about a cow that says “oink” and a pig that says “moo” and how they help each other out while the other farm animals are busy laughing at them (neigh-ha, baa-ha, hee-haw-ha, etc. – pure silliness). It’s a lot of fun, and any book that gives my boy the giggles is a favorite of mine too. :)
We also picked up One Morning in Maine by Robert McCloskey.imageThis book features Sal from Blueberries for Sal (one of our absolute all-time faves), who is now a big girl with her first loose tooth. This is a precious, adorable story. This book speaks to children in their own language, and reminded me of how magical a time childhood is and how sweet our innocent little ones are. Sal’s loose tooth falls out while she is helping her dad dig for clams; she can’t find the tooth so she wishes on a feather instead, and even makes a wish for little Jane on an old sparkplug (you’ve GOT to read it to understand). This is just a very sweet story and I’m so glad we picked it up!
For more book reviews go here!
Have a beautiful day! :)

8 comments:

  1. This is the second time now I have heard about the book, The Cow That Went OINK, I have to check for that one for sure!

    Caps For Sale looks like a good book too.

    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've been reading the second and third books you reviewed this week also, and agree they are both very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh those first two sound like books my kids would love. They love funny books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love Caps for Sale and Blueberries for Sal. I didn't know he wrote a second book about Sal. We'll check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We just got One Morning In Maine this week! We also love Blueberry's for Sal and that's why I ordered this one before reading it. I figured it would be good. Juliet loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think my boys would love the first two books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I keep wanting to read Caps for Sale - we don't have it, and it's constantly checked out from the library. I suspect that it's checked out by people like you. LOL. I am glad that M enjoyed The Cow That Went Oink - it's such a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My son LOVES Caps for Sale too. We haven't read it for several weeks, but he can still be heard calling out "Caps, Caps for sale fiffy cap" So fun.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment; I love reading them! If you ask a question and don't receive a personal reply, check back here for the answer. Often I reply via comment to something that might be of interest to others.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...